[lug] parsing tool for linux

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Sun Apr 7 22:33:05 MDT 2002

Keith> Well, yes, I realize it is a tokenizer; but, I want what a *C*
Keith> compiler thinks is a token, not what I think a C compiler
Keith> thinks is a token.  If I try to replicate the grammar of C, I
Keith> *will* screw it up.  I would really like to know what C is
Keith> treating as names of variables and functions for a given source
Keith> file, and that means that C has to know what is and is not a
Keith> function, variable, operator, etc.

There's a couple projects out there to change gcc to generate XML
cross-reference information.  I don't recall what they're called; look
on sourceforge or google.  I know that they've been mentioned on the
gcc list sometime in the last couple months.  It sounds like this is
the kind of thing you're looking for.

Tom