[lug] Windoze/Linux and no lilo

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 8 22:43:28 MDT 2002

John Starkey wrote:

> A friend just asked me how to get lilo working on a system that had
> Windows and he installed RH as a dual boot. Somehow lilo isn't being
> recognized on boot, it's booting straight into Windows.
>
> Anyone know how to do this? I've run into this on a new system, a year
> ago, and I reinstalled both OSes. Is there a way to force lilo on boot?

I'd say offhand that lilo had been installed to a partition boot record
instead of the master boot record. What is his lilo.conf file content?
FYI, using labels instead of hard device names like hda can sometimes
lead to problems if the drive involved does not have the label assigned
(in which case it is out in limbo land).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com