[lug] End icon envy

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Apr 10 06:46:54 MDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:34:46AM -0600, Tony Dyson wrote:
> No, they ommitted a simulated BSOD ;-)
>
> Various of the Office apps' options don't work, & exploring the ones
> which appear to be available will crash CO pretty reliably.
>
> It's rather like going back to Windows 3.x, for anyone feeling
> nostalgic.

If you can live without the BSOD, one option to run MS office components
is to install BasiliskII, a open source Mac68k emulator. If you happen to
posess an Macintosh ROM image you can run OS 7.n or OS 8.n on it (7.01 and
7.5 can be downloaded from apple free of charge). I can confirm that MS Exel,
Word, Quark Xpress, Omnis 7 and FrameMaker will work fine. The speed of it
is actually pretty close to that of my old LC III (of course, you never could
give 32 Megs of RAM to an LC II :), even on my old P233 64Meg notebook.

 Ralf

Oh, and switching back and forth from X to Mac scares the hell out of
all those artsy Mac users :-))))