more info Re: [lug] wierd rh7.2 install failure

Daniel Webb webb at robust.colorado.edu
Thu Apr 11 02:15:59 MDT 2002

> FYI, kernel compiles and large compression or decompression (as used
> during install) are rather sensitive to this. A machine that I had which
> was doing signal 11 during install always died during a file
> decompression, and turned out to be a bad DIMM module. Non-signal 11
> failures seemed to be cured by doing text mode installs, I'd bet on bad
> main memory.

  I have had Redhat 6.1 fail with signal 11 due to software setup.  I
can't remember what it was that was wrong, but once I changed it the
system installed OK and it was stable.  Everyone tells me this
is not possible, but I ran some intensive memory testing programs after
the install and they all turned up OK.

  My experience using both Redhat and Debian is that Redhat is fairly
buggy for a Unix system.  I would say try Debian when Woody is released,
but
1) who knows when that will be
2) Woody's boot floppies are being released with serious bugs (according
to Debian Weekly News), so I'm not going to recommend it to anyone until
they are proven to be reliable