Ogg Devices, was: [lug] [Fwd: Adios, Internet Radio]

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 11 10:52:59 MDT 2002

I agree with what James has to say.  The problem, however, seems to be
that ogg does not have much of a practical (or technological) advantage
over formats like mp3 in the context of portable music players, where
the superiority of ogg seems to be philosophical and largely
intangible.  This is not the case with streaming audio, obviously.

With tools like LAME and bladeenc libraries available and implemented
on Linux and commercial OS's alike, most people aren't clamoring for an
alternative to mp3 for the purpose of transferring their music
collections to portable players.

Perhaps the efforts of the MPEG Consortium to control MPEG-4 will
finally push consumers (and thus hardware manufacturers) over the edge
and into the free world!

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |