[lug] wierd rh7.2 install failure

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 11 15:21:11 MDT 2002

It may be unhappy with the drive geometry.  Couple of ideas:

First, many folks don't realize you can switch to the other virtual
consoles during the RH install and see exactly what it's doing -- hit
ALT-F2, ALT-F3, ALT-F4, etc... so you can watch behind the scenes on the
installer and see if you see any error messages.

Next, make sure it's creating a /boot partition at the front of the
drive that is relatively small.  This will help bootloaders find the
things they need during boot time when BIOS limitations may be biting you.

As a last resort, you could mess with the BIOS settings for the drive
(assuming you're set to AUTO or similar right now) to see if you can
find a setting that Linux is happy with.

Others will probably have other comments/ideas, but those should get you
started on some things to check out.

Nate, nate at natetech.com