[lug] Intuit's Shenanigans

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 13:04:38 MDT 2002

If any of you have tried to use Intuit's "web" applications, you may
have found that they block all but their "approved" browsers, including
IE and Netscape 4.x for Windows and Mac.

I just sent them an admittedly taunting note:

"I thought you would be interested to know about my business that you
have lost this tax season.

I have always been highly impressed with your products, in general.  I
had hoped to use your TurboTax web application to prepare my personal
taxes for 2001.

Unfortunately, you have unnecessarily blocked all but a select few
platform/browser combinations.  Since my Linux machine running Galeon
(which is based on Mozilla, as is Netscape 6) is one of those blocked, I
cannot use your services.

I'm sure TaxAct (http://www.taxact.com/) would like to thank you for
this policy."

You can do the same...
https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corporate.asp

They also have an application that they call 'QuickBooks for the Web',
which the last time I checked was more appropriately named 'QuickBooks
for IE', since the *only* client it allowed is IE for Windows.

Dhruva