[lug] smtp authentication with sendmail

Archer Sully archer at aeneas.goldenagewireless.net
Fri Apr 12 10:58:12 MDT 2002

On Friday 12 April 2002 10:18, you wrote:
> hello all,
> i've been struggling with getting a sendmail 8.11.6 daemon up and running
> using cyrus-sasl for smtp authentication. my goal is to use simple PLAIN
> auth against the local /etc/shadow to allow roaming users smtp access
> without opening the server up to blind open relay.

Any particular reason why you're using sendmail instead of
one of the more reliable/secure MTAs such as Postfix or Qmail?

As far as the roaming users vs. open relay, I just use ssh port
forwarding to server:25.  Works great, and no hassle with SASL.
And there's the additional benefit of automagically encrypting
all of my over-the-air mail traffic.

-- archer