[lug] smtp authentication with sendmail

Charles Menzes charles at lunarmedia.net
Fri Apr 12 21:22:26 MDT 2002

> Another common solution to this problem is to use 'pop auth before
> relay'. qmail has a 'relay-ctrl' package that does this. I am sure
> there is a solution for sendmail. Basically uses check email and once
> they authenticate with the pop/imap/etc server it adds them to a list
> of allowed relays for a short time (an hour). This allows them to send
> out, but it's very unlikely that spammers will get the same ip and be
> able to use it in that amount of time. Even if they knew they could
> use your relay.

	thanks. i'm sorry that i hadn't mentioned my findings on
	pop-before-smtp and sendmail. i've found a couple of mentions
	concerning it on google searches, but most seem to be very
	outdated with modified qpopper daemons dating to version 2.4.

	i have not read through the most recent 4.0 version of qpopper,
	so perhaps its the real path i should be going down.

	thanks for your input -charles