[lug] Sound card problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Apr 13 21:33:54 MDT 2002

Yuko Jonah wrote:

> Hi ya all,
> Still having problem with motherboard built in sound
> card. Motherboard Elements 867AS. Sound card built in
> AC97.
> Error on the linux box when booting up
> modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound slot -0
> modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound
> -service-0-0.
> How can i correct this problem, i like to listen to
> music some times when i'm browsing the net. It works
> fine under window xp.

You need an alias to tell it what name to find those services as. It
isn't unusual to not have that as a module, and simply want to turn it
off in /etc/modules.conf:
alias sound-service-0-0 off

Or, in my case, the name of the soundblaster live driver module that
services that service is named emu10k1, so I have:
alias sound-service-0-0 emu10k1

So either alias it to "off" or to the name of the module that services
it. I have no idea what module services your card, and if the ability is
compiled directly in (not as a module) you simply want it off anyway.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com