[lug] Self Destruct?

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Apr 14 14:15:49 MDT 2002

On Sunday 14 April 2002 09:41 am, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Been reading along with interest here... Bear's right -- if it's on their
> machine, they have a good case to say it's "theirs"... especially if they
> had you sign any intellectual property stuff.
>
> BUT: An interesting thought came to mind... this seems like a great use of
> those USB and Firewire external hard disks -- bring one in and use their
> laptop if you like, but save anything that you consider "yours" on the
> portable drive... saves a lot of effort -- you unplug it and walk away.

Bah!  Portable drives are for the pre-internet age!  SCP is your friend.  If
you want to be fancy CVS over SSH.

I came in in the middle of this (I guess I unsubscribed by mistake a week or
so ago :-(  ) but when I leave a company I do "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda"
followed by "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda" (twice if I have time).  That
pretty much does the trick.

And before anyone gets all bent out of shape, they have to re-image it to get
windows back on it anyway.

I've toyed with the idea of making a floppy with a big skull and cross bones
on it with a modified tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/) that does the dd
treatment at boot.  Never done it, though.

-Peter