[lug] compile question

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Apr 14 21:46:39 MDT 2002

On Sunday 14 April 2002 09:30 pm, j davis wrote:
> hi,
>   so i have read to compile my kernel in /usr/src and /home.Can some one
> tell
> wich is better and why. Also is there any particular place i should compile
> other programs?

I think that the two schools of though are 1. put source in /usr/src "where it
belongs."  I think that is perfectly reasonable.  2. put source in your home
dir and do everything up to "make install" as an unprivileged user.  I don't
see any harm in this, but I think that the benefit is largely a fantasy.

I think that in the final analysis you should do it whatever the "local
standard" way is if you are admining a commercial system.  If it is your
personal system do whatever makes you happy, there won't be any repercussions
either way.

-Peter