USB cdrw [was Re: more info Re: [lug] wierd rh7.2 install failure]

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 15 14:18:45 MDT 2002

Ummm... hmm, it's at home, but it's an older (read: slow writer... 4X I
think) Sony that was actually packaged with and for MacOS -- had a MacOS
9 driver disc with it and that was its original use at my house.  It
actually works MUCH better under Linux than MacOS, but ... haven't tried
it under OS X (yet).

I didn't have to do anything at all for the installer to see it, it came
up supported as a usb mass-storage device.  (similar to the other thread
here today about the CompactFlash readers).

Quite frankly, I just tried it on a whim (didn't want to deal with
booting the laptop to some other OS and bootstrapping Linux to wipe out
the other OS) and it worked.  :-)  Gotta love it when new(er) hardware
just starts working in some release of the kernel -- I love that, and the
folks doing the kernel hacking for USB deserve a big THANKS for the USB
support.

I was mildly surprised that the default kernel on the 7.2 discs arlready
supported it too... GRIN.  :-)

Nate, nate at natetech.com