[lug] Linux jobs in Boulder/Denver?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Apr 17 01:43:37 MDT 2002

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> Hello lug subcribers,
>
> I've been mostly lurking on this mailing list for about a month now.
> Not knowing anyone in Boulder makes it very hard for me to break into
> the job market out there.  I'm hoping to get to know more of you on
> this forum.  So far I've been impressed with the quality of this list.
> There seems to be a lot of Linux expertise here, and everyone seems
> friendly.

It's a fun place, it actually has some nice culture.

> I'm hoping the high quality of the mailing list means there is also a
> lot of Linux related employment in the Boulder neighborhood.  I am
> trying to move my family out of Atlanta and Boulder is top of the list
> of places I'd like to go, but first I need a job.

I've been unemployed here now for over a year.

> Are there some good Linux friendly shops out there?  I am a Linux and
> Java developer.  I've been using Linux for 9 years now.  For the last
> three years I've been specializing in embedded Linux and consumer
> internet appliances at ZapMedia.  Can you recommend any embedded Linux
> companies, or companies building appliance hardware?

I've seen lots of java for web apps, tomcat is one. Some perl and other
web programming, unfortunately I'm a C++ type. I've seen some embedded,
but talking to a few embedded programmers, it is a tough market here.
Most of the jobs I see ask for some specialization in particular
software or niche areas, there is almost nothing for people with just
general programming knowledge. Several people I've met with advanced
degrees, and 10 or more years doing rather impressive things, aren't
even getting a nibble. Somehow I can envision the author of perl or some
of the local UML creators from Rational Rose getting rejected for lack
of perl or UML experience :P

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

PS: Things do seem to be slightly better now than a year ago.