[lug] Linux jobs in Boulder/Denver?

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 08:12:34 MDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:33:52AM -0600, quoth Chip Atkinson:
> I don't know, I think your "rant" is better than Dennis Miller any time.
> :-)
>
> A friend of mine is an excellent Java programmer.  He's all but given up.
> When I look for jobs, all I see is Java this and Java that.  I think "if I
> only knew Java I'd be in much better shape".
>  His experience is that he doesn't have some little java flip or curl, the
> employers don't want to talk with him.  If he gets an interview, he's
> either over or under qualified.

As a Java developer looking for contract work, I can confirm that
everyone is looking for *very* specific knowledge (Version
5.2.3.2.2.1.3.5.5.7.8 Service Pack 3.4.6.6 of this, Version
4.5.2.4.3.6.7.8 of that).

OK, that's not quite accurate, but they do require demonstrable
experience with obscure, proprietary toolkits and applications.  I've
been seriously looking for about two months and have yet to get an
interview.

Dhruva