[lug] usb flash card

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Apr 17 15:57:05 MDT 2002

>>>>> "jd" == j davis <j> writes:

jd> so i found that the refrence from /var/log/messages..
jd> Apr 15 12:51:11 bushwick kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
jd> 0x4e6/0x1010) is not claimed by any active driver.

the bit about "...any active driver" is the important one.  you need
to have the appropriate module loaded.  (or use the usbhotplug stuff
to load it on demand, which is the "right" way to do it...)

if you found this device id on the list, did they tell you which
driver to use with it?  it's unlikely that it's "identified by the
wrong code"; what you probably have is just a rebadged version of
someone else's product.  equivalently, the outer package was designed
and branded by one company, but the actual "guts" of the device are
designed by / licensed from another company.

in the case of the zios, i believe that it's a proprietary interface,
and the companies are being annoying and not giving out the necessary
information.  the actual chipset is the Shuttle Tech USBAT-02:

   http://www.lysator.liu.se/~unicorn/hacks/usbat2/
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbat2/

and an alternate driver at:

   http://www.xs4all.nl/~heraldb/zio.tgz

there was something on the linux-kernel list, a few weeks back, that
indicated that the alternate driver was the first to successfully
transfer data, but that it still wasn't working properly.  it also
looks like Shuttle might be sharing some information with some usb
kernel developers.

having said that, my experience with usb under linux was limited to
getting it working on my system (back before it was integrated into
the kernel and distributions) and using the jphoto software (which
spoke PTP to my digital camera).  so, i haven't kept up with the
latest improvements.

t.