[lug] Linux jobs in Boulder/Denver?

Archer Sully archer at aeneas.goldenagewireless.net
Wed Apr 17 09:25:51 MDT 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 06:33, you wrote:

> After a few phone interviews, here's my theory on why things are so tough
> out there.  Most employers aren't really looking for employees right now.
> Those that are are looking for an exact matching Superman or Wonder Woman.
> If they don't find it, no big deal.  They didn't really have to hire
> anyone anyway.  If they do find it, great, they got a "gem", and probably
> for much less now than they would have paid a year ago.

I think you're right.  I've put in resumes for several jobs that looked like
a good match, only to be told that "we're really looking for someone who
also has experience with 'x'", where x is some obscure/secondary skill
that was barely mentioned in the job req.   Employers no longer want to
hire smart people, just people who perfectly match their desires.  And with
that much commitment to employee knowledge, how safe do you think
that job really is?

Frankly, I'm considering selling out, leaving Boulder, and opening a cafe
in an under-caffeinated college town somewhere.

-- archer