[lug] Idea

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Apr 17 21:24:39 MDT 2002

The ALE (Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts) did something similar a couple
moths ago.  What they ended up with was a coorperative of
consultants.  I think the idea was to not form a company, but an
organization that would help consultants help each other.  I haven't
heard anything about it in a while, so I don't think it went anywhere.

I think their problem was too many system administrators and systems
integrators who were all competing for the same piece of pie.  I think
you really need to come up with a _product_ that you can then build
and sell.

I agree that talent is a big expense, but the difficult thing is
vision and drive.  Someone who can come up with an original idea, then
has the gumption to raise money, inspire workers, and make it happen
is quite rare and valuable.  Give me a concrete task and we can do it,
but finding a vision and acting on it is hard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your point about brainstorming
is right on target.

Best of luck,

Michael