[lug] [Way OT] English Grammar

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Thu Apr 18 14:59:39 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 14:03, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> BTW, I have BCCed your grade school English teacher.  I thought she'd like to
> know you are running around starting sentences with "And."

I know this was meant in jest. And I generally don't mind grammar nazis
if they get it right. The world needs more geeks that can write
coherently in human readable languages. But the last time that the rule
above applied *was* in grammar school. That rule exists because simple
minds need simple rules. The sentence in question was, in this respect,
grammatically correct.

I think you are old enough now that we can let you in on the secret of
starting sentences with conjuntions.

http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/032601.htm

And thus ends the grammar lesson for the day, kids! ;-)

-Rob