[lug] i got hacked

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Apr 18 16:09:09 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 15:44, j davis wrote:

> so, netstat says i have something listening on 25897...what should i do?!
> never benn hacked before....i already turned off ftp and turned on tcp
> wrappers.

I'd:

  - backup all user & applications data

  - wipe the machine clean

  - re-install (and I recommend upgrade to RH 7.2)

  - use a firewall!

As a quick fix, you can use the RPM database in conjunction with find to
get some idea of what has been modified and/or added.  The RPM commands
will look something like:

  rpm -qa | xargs rpm -V

which will give you a list of all modified files and *how* they've been
changed.  Similarly, you can use find to list all files that have been
added/modified since the time the machine was cracked.  But note that
the RPM method *ONLY* works if the cracker didn't mess with the RPM
database, which is unlikely but within the realm of possibility.

In general, its a good idea to wipe everything and start over since it
is quite difficult (impossible?) to prove that you have completely
removed all the back-doors or other junk that got installed.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD