[lug] Linux Partition Sizes

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 16:43:06 MDT 2002

I am building a box that will serve primarily as a light-duty web server.
I may, in the future, also want to use it as a mail server (for a handful
of users--no more than 20)

It's a PII-266 with 128MB of RAM and a brand spankin' new 40GB HDD.

Having never set up a server before (as opposed to a workstation), I'm
not sure how much space to devote to each partition.

Here are my thoughts:

/boot:	This only needs to be 8MB.
/:	Should be fairly large.
/var
/usr:	I guess this and /var should have the lion's share.
/home:	1GB at the *very* most, since there won't really be any users
	logging on for anything other than deploying stuff.

I would do a search on the web, but I'm at a loss as to what to look
for.  It may sound anal to worry about partitions in this situation, but
I would like to know this stuff for future reference.

Thanks,
Dhruva