[lug] Linux Partition Sizes

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Thu Apr 18 17:41:16 MDT 2002

A full redhat 7.2 workstation install took up ~1600MB

Right now my /usr is at 2.5 gigs on my home workstation

I would make boot a bit bigger since you can't resize without
reformatting.  You aren't going to miss an extra 32MB and if you need it
you will be glad you have it.

I just had a devel machine that I was lax about letting developers have
root on and one of them was in / as root and did rm -rf *  This made me
want to make future machines partition in such a way as to have / be
mounted ro.  I believe this means that /tmp and /var need to be on rw
partitions.  Some people like to have /opt and /usr/local on separate
partitions too to ease upgradeability.

Since it will be a web server /var/www is the default dir for the redhat
apache rpm DocumentRoot.  mysql and postgresql also default to /var for
data.

if the server is doing imap for mail then your /home dirs will start
filling up as people file their messages in different folders.

You probably won't find much on the web because disk partitioning is
really dependent upon the function of the server.

I have about 14 users on a mail server and they take up about 2g in
their home dirs with their email, so don't underestimate what they can
accumulate.

RH7.2 insists on 2 x RAM for swap space.

If you break out /usr and /var from /, then / doesn't need to be that
big at all.

Summary, it all depends on what you want to do.  I would list as best
you can which applications you will be running.  Find out where they
keep their data.  Guess as best you can as to how much data they will
have and then partition appropriately.

FWIW,

Hugh