[lug] Serial Line Direct Connection

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Apr 19 00:21:46 MDT 2002

Do you want this to be an "extra" console, or the main console?

If the latter, you can just pass :

console=ttyS0,9600n8

To the kernel -- if I remember correctly.

I believe this is a kernel build option, so not all kernels have it?

For your other experiment, did you tell init to put a getty on the
/dev/ttyS0 device?

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600

(That DT = dumb terminal...)

Most of this info was jogged back into my memory by doing a quick Google
search for the Remote Serial Console HOWTO doc...

And of course, someone mentioned that you need a "null-modem" cable,
with TX and RX reversed between the machines... you have DTE to DTE
between two PC's and the DCE device is missing.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com