[lug] i got hacked

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Fri Apr 19 10:55:32 MDT 2002

Yes, I'd agree that you want to focus some time in the configuration of it,
however, I think what I've always shot for on systems like this is
kiddie/cracker prevention and detection as opposed to full on hacker
prevention.

I think it all depends on what your goals are.  If you want to try to
prevent the "real" hackers, you're going to invest a tremendous amount of
time and energy.  If you want simply to filter out the 90% mark, then I
think you can get a good balance of security and time using tools like
Tripwire.

My two cents...