[lug] OT: Makefile oddity

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 12:26:58 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael J Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> writes:

Michael> This seems about right, and one of the reasons I eventually
Michael> moved my projects (many years preceeding auto-conf) to imake.

Michael> Note that learning imake is a lot less difficult than trying
Michael> to learn auto-conf if you already know Makefile formats.

Let me throw in a good word for autoconf here.  Autoconf isn't as hard
to learn as you've all heard.  The `autoscan' tool can help a lot.
There is a lot of documentation on Autoconf available on the web,
including a few tutorials, the reference manual, and of course the
autobook.

Autoconf has some advantages over Imake as well.  They are explained
in the node (autoconf)Why Not Imake, which, if you're running Linux,
is probably already installed on your system.

Tom