[lug] OT: Makefile oddity

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Apr 19 13:06:48 MDT 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> It then tries to figure out how to build Makefile.something,
> >> looking for Makefile.c, Makefile.o, Makefile.everything_under_the_sun.
>
> Read the info node (make)Remaking Makefiles.
> In sum: GNU make considers the Makefile as a target before trying
> anything else.

So if I use "include Makefile.custom", and the only thing in it is
"PROJECT1_SUBDIR=/usr/local/src", then it will always try to build
Makefile.custom? I have no Makefile targets, but using include within
the Makefile is forcing Makefile.custom to be evaluated as a c++ file,
it is quite irritating. From what I read, "include Makefile.custom"
should do only one thing: Insert the contents of Makefile.custom as if
it were part of the original Makefile. Unfortunately, make itself is
saying "no, it is c++ source".

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com