[lug] i got hacked

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Apr 19 13:39:58 MDT 2002

I haven't really dug into it. My understanding (and this is gleaned more
from a general understanding of cryptography than reading the code) is that
they generate a public key and private key, and sign the database. They are
probably using SHA-1 and DSA to sign it. Since the private key is encrypted
with the password (presumably using a symmetric cipher) it should not be
possible to update the database.

There are a lot of other ways to fake it so that if you don't look closely
it would be missed. Just send the same report day after day. You would have
to be pretty alert to notice that new things were not showing up as they
should.