[lug] C code quality tools

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Apr 19 13:42:13 MDT 2002

Thus spoke Chris Riddoch
> Anybody else have recommendations on tools, compilers, or libraries
> that make the C programmer's life-o-debugging easier?

cscope:  http://cscope.sourceforge.net/
I've been using it for years on SVR4 systems and was ecstatic when they
released the source for porting to other Unices.

Makes finding symbols much easier.  So if some nutcase actually uses single
letter variable names ("a", "v", etc.) you can find them much quicker using
cscope than perusing source code.  Also makes global changes *very* fast.
I converted a bunch of GIMP 1.x plug-ins to the newer GIMP 1.2.x API using
this.  Very quick and fairly painless.

Text (ie curses) based.  Runs in a xterm or in a console window.  Compiles
very easily from source.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Chinese Proverb: