[lug] unfindable ip hack?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Apr 19 22:47:16 MDT 2002

Jeff wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I keep getting the following  message in my logs:
>
> Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=1 10.80.92.1:0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0 L=84
> S=0x00 I=0 F=0x4000 T=255 (#3)
>
> Can anybody tell me what's going on?  Obviously, the 10.x.x.x ip is
> inside my ISP, but I can't ping it or anything.  I keep getting the same
> hit.  The firewall blocks it, but I'm curious as to what it is...

10.x.x.x is a non-Internet routable IP. In theory, you could see it if
something is broken, or if an IP is being spoofed. But this looks like a
broadcast packet to all machines on the network. I'd ask your ISP about
it, I don't think it is a hack, but it is probably a symptom of
something that is a security risk or misconfiguration.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com