[lug] OT: Makefile oddity

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 23:18:57 MDT 2002

>> I keep trying to say, there is NO error message, and it DOES
>> compile what I expect.

Ok.  I guess I misunderstood.  Remaking the Makefile is all a red
herring.

>> Variables and everything is technically working. The problem is
>> some oddness where a fresh build does everything right, but if any
>> dependency is out, it tries to double rebuild all things; those
>> that are not out of date get "target is up to date" twice (no job
>> server running, this is all a single -j1).

Unfortunately, as you've discovered, debugging a complex make setup is
not easy.  GNU make's debug output is much too voluminous to be really
useful.

Can you reproduce the problem with a simpler setup?  Say with just two
or three files?  That sort of thing makes it a lot easier to see if
the problem is in the Makefile or in make.

Failing that try submitting a GNU make bug report.  I've found the
maintainers to be pretty responsive.

Tom