[lug] Sound problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Apr 21 16:04:26 MDT 2002

Yuko Jonah wrote:

> I'm Running RH7.2 Motherboard Elements A67AS. kernel
> 2.4.7-10
> sndconfig seems to find the sound card by VIA
> Technologies| AC97 Audio Controller is not supported
> curerently; however, the ALSA project has a driver for
> this card. I have downloaded the drivers, still the
> same problem. Upon booting up here are the errors
> Modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
> Modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module
> sound-service-0-0
> I have recompiled the kernel, but still running into
> the same problem.

This is where the /etc/modules.conf comes in handy. You will find the
kernel likes modules named after the actual driver, e.g., if it wants
one "sound-slot-0", then it expects this to be the name of the module.
You can instead assign a module alias (a special alias is "off" to tell
it not to bother). So if your module name that fills this service
requirement is "foo":
alias sound-slot-0 foo

So you need to know the name of the sound module. You might wish to find
out the exact file name of the kernel module you built to support sound,
and then name it in modules.conf (replace "foo" with your module name,
less any ".o" extension), then run "depmod -a" or "insmod modulename".

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com