[lug] Old stuff that still works

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Mon Apr 22 11:02:53 MDT 2002

<nostalgia>
While cleaning up my home directory, I came across a file that was over
seven years old. I've been copying my home directory from machine to
machine as I've upgraded over the years, so there's a nice bit of
personal history in there. The file in question is from early 1995. This
was at a time when HTTP wasn't the dominant protocol it currently is.

The file was essentially a reminder -- a bookmark if you will.

In it was this command:

finger nasanews at space.mit.edu | less

And to my great surprise, it still works.

Ah, the joys of the .plan file and the finger protocol.
</nostalgia>

-Rob