[lug] Star Office 5.2...

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Mon Apr 22 13:58:54 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick writes:

 > On Monday 22 April 2002 11:18 am, Mr Viggy wrote:
 > > Hey all,
 > >
 > > I just downloaded Star Office 5.2 from Sun's web page (as a .bin file).
 > >   I'm running Slackware 8.0, with a 2.4.18 kernel; and JRE 1.4.0.  I
 > > installed it (Star Office) as root onto my FAT32 partition (yeah, yeah;
 > > I want to use Linux all the time, but I occasionally use this machine, a
 > > laptop, for work stuff).
 > >
 > > I'm getting a "Cannot find setup.ins in /fat-d/office52/program" error
 > > when I try to run 'soffice'.  I did a search of Deja News, and found
 > > that most that have installed SOffice onto a FAT32 partition have th
 > > same error.  So far, the only solution I saw was to re-install Office
 > > onto an ext2 partition.  Since I have no room on mine, this is not
 > > really an option.
 > >
 > > Is there any other solution to get this darn thing to run from a FAT32
 > > partition?
 >
 > FAT partitions are generally mounted as root.  Since FAT does not have
 > provisions for UNIX-style file permissions all files are treated as owned by
 > root and having root's default permissions mask.

So would it work to add uid and gid options to the mount command?  If
you mount it so that it is all owned by you maybe that will work.

You might also be able to get it to work by using umsdos.  umsdos is a
filesystem with full unix semantics that sits on top of a FAT
filesystem.  Hmm..come to think of it, I've only used it on a FAT16
fs, never FAT32.  Does it work with FAT32?

--Michael