[lug] OT: network gear

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Apr 22 17:31:48 MDT 2002

Hugh Brown wrote:

> My bad.
>
> 10/100 switches.  Looking at the 16port variety.

<snip>
I found some strange behavior with 32 port switches from D-Link and Cnet
( I don't have a Linksys).
I connected two computers via 10.1.1.x and 172.168.200.x networks.  If
the switches (I tested the before mentioned two) would work properly
then I would expect to get roughly 100 mBit/s throughput from each NIC.
However I only got a total of about 100 mBit/s between the two.  Upon
running one of the NIC pairs via crossover cable I got my 200 mBit/s
total.
As I understand it a switch should let any two connected computers talk
at maximum speed so what I observed seems fishy.

I didn't have time to test other switches yet (I also have a 3COM switch
available).  Maybe I just don't understand how switches work :)

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation