[lug] ntp woes again

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Apr 23 22:34:57 MDT 2002

I installed the April KRUD edition today.  After putting all my firewall
configs back in place I still can't get ntpdate to work.  I had this
problem once before and ntpdate -u fixed it.  Now, even that doesn't work.

I run this command:

ntpdate ntp2.usno.navy.mil tock.usno.navy.mil tick.usno.navy.mil

and get back:

23 Apr 23:33:20 ntpdate[3028]: no server suitable for synchronization found

There are no messages in the log files (/var/log/messages).  Is there a way
to debug this?  Isn't ntpdate a preferred method for setting my system
time?  If this is a firewall issue, shouldn't I be getting messages about
rejected packets in /var/log/messages?
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com