[lug] OT: network gear

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Apr 24 02:07:39 MDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 05:31:48PM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>I found some strange behavior with 32 port switches from D-Link and Cnet
>( I don't have a Linksys).

I've had good luck with the Linksys 8-port switches, and all the Netgear <=8
port hubs/switches I've used.  I prefer the Linksys, since it's really
cheap and has tons of diagnostic LEDs.  They've been rock solid...

I'd recommend looking on ebay for a 3com SuperStack 16-port managed switch
(like the 3300).  They're not that expensive for the 16 ports.  Even the 32
ports aren't that bad, I just recently got one for just over $300.

>However I only got a total of about 100 mBit/s between the two.  Upon
>running one of the NIC pairs via crossover cable I got my 200 mBit/s
>total.

I was running my Linksys 8-port with two machines hooked up, each one both
of it's interfaces...  I was pumping data across both interfaces, and it
worked great.  I was getting around 8MB/sec each, IIRC.  Later I was
running RAID-1 with a network block device across one of the interfaces,
and saw it syncing at 12MB/sec -- that's the fastest transfer rate I've
ever seen on a 10mbps network...  Most of one side was happening in the
kernel though...

Sean
--
 Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
                 -- Fred Brooks