[lug] Attempted hack from 202.185.243.121

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Apr 24 14:12:58 MDT 2002

> Nate> and of course Debian has the cross-porting issues that Red Hat
> Nate> bailed out on and dropped their Sparc support to avoid... so
> Nate> making one installer that works across all the different
> Nate> platforms Debian supports is really really rough on the install
> Nate> team
>
> I'm pretty sure that isn't why Red Hat stopped the Sparc support.
> Anaconda does work on some other architectures.

Understood... maybe I should have prefaced that statement with this sure
APPEARS to be why they avoid different architectures.  Of course, the real
reasons are probably more mundane and related to the good old dollar bill.
:-)

I did have fun playing with RH 5.2 on Sparc's and many times longed for the
decent server hardware from Sun running Linux for the OS when I was
super-duper busy building tons of 1RU RedHat boxes... the typical 1RU PC
leaves a lot to be desired for professional servers... unless you have
massive amounts of redundancy.  And when you do that, you might as well have
purchased decent hardware to start with, as your maintenance effort starts
to eat you alive on the multiple 1RU boxes...

Nate, nate at natetech.com