[lug] Is anon ftp upload really bad?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 24 14:26:07 MDT 2002

I'll concede that if you actively monitor and take the many necessary
precautions, anonymous ftp upload can be made relatively safe.  Adding
a proper authentication layer can only make it safer, and as a bonus,
it keeps the kiddies from wasting your time with love.exe.

Perhaps the word "urge" in my previous message was too strong.  It's
more of a recommendation.  Has anyone else played with the S/Key OTP
stuff?  In the days before ssh was a common tool, I recall setting up a
telnet proxy in this manner.

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |