[lug] Attempted hack from 202.185.243.121

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Apr 25 11:07:41 MDT 2002

* Daniel Webb (webb at robust.colorado.edu) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
> > >   The problem was the exploit used on me had long ago been patched
> > > (the current Redhat wouldn't install on my machine due to bugs in the
> > > installer),
> > > so I wouldn't have seen it on any of the security watch mailing lists or
> > > web sites.  I couldn't even find it on *Redhat's* website after
> > > the fact when I knew the exploit.  Now that I have been using Linux a
> > > little longer, I know about the alternate ways of automating Redhat
> > > package updates, but it still doesn't beat the built-in power of apt-get.
> >
> > Gotcha.  And agreed on apt... wonderful tool.  The fairly recent addition of
> > the attempt to download source dependencies when downloading source packages
> > for builds is REALLY nice.
>
>   You mean auto-apt?  I just used it the other day to build a source
> tree of a program that doesn't have a debian package.  As the compile went
> along, it would barf with "can't find header <something>.h", at which
> point apt-get would go out and get whatever it needed.  Sounds like it
> would be flakey, but in my case, it downloaded two needed libraries,
> restarted the compile and compiled correctly.  Sweet!

I don't think he meant auto-apt (a cool sounding tool, though, I will have
to try it).  I think he meant the recent addition to apt-get that allows
build-dependencies to be retrieved with one command.  Thus:

apt-get build-dep libc

and all debs that are listed as build-depends for libc will be fetched.
It can be very convenient for building debs from source.

Tim