[lug] Moving /

Dhruva Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 18:50:08 MDT 2002

Hello all,

I am in the process of recovering from a hard drive
crash, and decided to take this opportunity to migrate
to ReiserFS.

I have installed Debian, and am converting one at a
time.  It goes smoothly until I get to the root
partition (/).  The first time, I moved it, then
changed /etc/fstab to point / at the temporary
partition, forgetting to run lilo (arrgh!).
Strangely, when I rebooted it still thought that / was
on the original partition.  Of course I didn't realize
this until I reformatted the original partition, so I
was dead in the water at this point.

So I reinstalled from scratch, and am gearing up to
run lilo first.  / is currently on /dev/hda9, and I am
trying to move it to /dev/hda10 (mounted on /spare).
Here is what I have tried:

    lilo -r /spare

It complains about the missing /boot/boot.b (which is
on a different partition).

There is some information on the web about converting
partitions to Reiser, but the only thing I have found
on converting / seems to assume that /boot is on the
same partition.

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do?  Or
should I stop my whining and switch to a distro that
supports 2.4 kernel/Reiser (boy, would I miss
apt-get!)?  Or should I address this blasted
hypoglycemia and have something to eat for the first
time today?

Thanks,
Dhruva

Thanks,