[lug] Moving /

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Apr 25 21:07:15 MDT 2002

* hirsch at zapmedia.com (hirsch at zapmedia.com) wrote:
> I have three suggestions.  First, why reiserfs?  In my experience ext3
> is as good for most purposes, and you can convert that in place.

Havne't benchmarked myself, but I have read that with dirs that have
lots of small files, reiser is 10-15 times better than ext2/ext3.

> Second, given that you want to convert to reiserfs, make the partition
> /dev/hda10 and mount it on say /spare with
>     mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda10 -o notail
> The "-o notail" is important.  It tells reiserfs not to try to save
> space by having lots of files put their leftover data in a shared
> sector.  You need to do this so lilo will work.  If you have a
> separate /boot partition this is the partition to mount notail.  With
> reiser you really should have a separate /boot partition.

I don't think the notail is strictly needed anymore.  I think the
problem was fixed.  At least, I have ran root from a reiser partition, I
didn't use that option, and all worked fine.

Tim