[lug] Moving /

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Fri Apr 26 15:27:01 MDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Dhruva Reddy said:

> Yeah, I saw some funkiness with ReiserFS--I could have
> sworn that when I was mucking around with the root
> partition, files started disappearing from /usr.
> Didn't exactly inspire confidence.
>
> --- "Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:

> > Ha, this is what I did, too.  Ext3 is much easier to
> > get to with Debian,
> > (since the stable installer only supports ext2).
> > FWIW, I have had odd,
> > terribly hard to trouble shoot problems with
> > Reiserfs.  The problems may
> > not have even been reiser, but they went away when I
> > switched to ext3.

I've been using reiserfs on several machines for about a year.  While I
encountered a problem on two ocassions - each on a different machine, but
the same symptom - I have never noticed a problem with disappearing files.
The symptom I saw was some kind of corruption where trying to access a
file or directroy would return an error msg something along the lines of
"cannot stat file".  In one case the extent of the problem was limited to
1 or 2 files, the other involved several dirs after attempting to patch
and compile X running under a 2.4.17 kernel.

With rfs, I think it's a very good idea to use only current kernels - at
least within a tree - I use 2.2.20 on most of the machines.  Will probably
move to 2.4 sometime not too far off, as things seem to have settled down
a bit lately.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net