[lug] Someone on this list likely has a windows virus

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 29 13:07:35 MDT 2002

Stephen Queen wrote:

> As I was sitting here reading Dan's message my wife who doesn't belong to
> this mailing list opened one of these emails. Since I don't run windows on
> my machine I wasn't too worried, but now what do I do about her windows
> machine?

There are current Klez patterns available if she has antivirus software.
But I do believe that if it was not current and she actually opened it,
or used the fast preview, then it is too late. It will have altered
registry keys and deleted or disabled the software. But, whoever she has
the antivirus software from, will have a cleaning procedure, she can
visit that web site of the antivirus brand and find out how to clean it
out. If she has not previewed it or read it, she is most likely safe
(though there are apparently some newer worms/virii that are working on
not requiring preview to infect).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com