[lug] Moving files

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Apr 29 15:10:03 MDT 2002

* Yuko Jonah (yuko_j at yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
> just want to know how to move a file from one
> directory to the other. I'm thinking if i should /mnt
> the drive i'm moving the file to. I have one big drive
> that i partition into several partitions. I'm trying
> to move files from /usr which is partition 4 to
> /archive which is in partition 6.
> thanx
> yuko

Sure, you must make sure both /usr and /archive are mounted, but you
won't need to use /mnt.   /mnt is a usually for transient mounts, but
you have specified places on the directory tree for the two
partitions you mentioned.  So, if they are not mounted, mount them
(probably as root, just 'mount /archive' and 'mount /usr' if they are in
your /etc/fstab file).  After that condition is met you would just do:

mv /usr/somefile /archive

That would leave the name as somefile, but change its directory.  If you
want to change the name, too, just

mv /usr/somefile /archive/somenewfile

HTH,
Tim