[lug] Someone on this list likely has a windows virus

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Tue Apr 30 00:54:06 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Queen" <svq at peakpeak.com>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: [lug] Someone on this list likely has a windows virus

> As I was sitting here reading Dan's message my wife who doesn't belong to
> this mailing list opened one of these emails. Since I don't run windows on
> my machine I wasn't too worried, but now what do I do about her windows
> machine?

If you have a windows box around, you might check www.grisoft.com and
download their free anti-virus AVG6.0.  It finds them, has a healing
process, and the price is hard to beat.

WRT to Klez.E worm, seeing "Klez Immunity" messages promising a fix that
anti-virus programs might 'mistakenly' identify as the worm, but run
attachment anyway to gain immunity, and postmaster 'bounce' messages with
Klez.E attached.  Getting a little more nefarious for the unwary windows
user.

Frank Whiteley