[lug] RE: [CLUE-Tech] A Linux version of system and network monitoring?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Apr 29 19:01:22 MDT 2002

The two I'm familiar with (and have configured) are Big Brother and
Netsaint.  Currently, we use Big Brother (I spent all the time of
configuring Netsaint, only to hvae it get the axe).

Big Brother:
Pros:
  Somewhat easy to use, add new hosts to, etc.

Cons:
  Not very configurable.
  False Alarms up the wazoo.
  Doesn't always catch actual faults (today, for example)
  Quite Buggy.
  Removing hosts is a pain.

Netsaint:
Pros:
  Easily configured
  Highly Configurable
  Web based setup makes adding hosts, tweaking configs a breeze
  Total control via the web (you don't have to have shell access)
  Extendable: Write your own additions, get other written addistons, etc.

Cons:
  Some false alarms (but not as many)
  some web based tools are still in a wierd stage.

Obviously, I'd recommned netsaint.  It's really cool, and BIg Brother
wakes me up in the middle of the night many times a week.  Big Brother can
die.

--
Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org