[lug] ssh compression

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed May 1 12:34:35 MDT 2002

The best solution I have found for things like this is to write a cron job
that bzips the data, pipes the output through gpg, and then use FTP to move
the encrypted data. You could use NCFTPGET at the destination site to
retrieve the file. I move a client's SQL Database to my site once a week
this way. 2.5GB compresses down to 350MB. I also do it early in the morning,
so it doesn't use bandwidth during production hours.