[lug] CVS question: Replacing head

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed May 1 12:50:22 MDT 2002

Hello,

I have a CVS question which doesn't seem to be answered by Karl Fogel's
book.

I have a CVS respository with a project that has a trunk and one major
branch.  Basically, I want to make the branch the trunk without having
to painfully merge the two.  Is there a good CVS-way to do this?

A little more details.

To get the HEAD I can do:

[top]$ cvs checkout project

Now to merge:

[top]$ cd project
[project]$ cvs update -j branch-YESTERDAY_VERSION -j
branch-TODAY_VERSION

The problem is that I can't commit without dealing with all of the
diffs.  I really want it to behave as if my merge was an update of the
files from say:

[project]$ cvs update -r branch-TODAY_VERSION

But that sets a sticky-tag that I can't figure out how to ignore in a
commit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott