[lug] CVS question: Replacing head

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed May 1 13:49:40 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Scott" == Scott A Herod <herod at interact-tv.com> writes:

Scott> I'm not sure what you mean by cvs delete and then placing the
Scott> branch into the main.  I've got about 500 files in numerous
Scott> subdirectories.

What he means is: don't try to use cvs to do this.  Just check out the
branch and the trunk, and then *copy* all the source files from the
branch to the trunk.  This is easiest if you `cvs export' the branch,
so you don't have to worry about CVS directories.

His `cvs rm' suggestion is an easy way to make it so you don't have to
figure out another way to delete only those files which were removed
from the branch but not the trunk.  The idea is you cvs rm everything
from the trunk, copy stuff over, and then `cvs add' everything that is
there now.  This should do exactly what you want.

Add a tag on the trunk before you do this.  Then you're safe.

Scott> I now see that the 'cvs admin -bREVISION' command is supposed
Scott> to change the trunk to a given branch.  That might work.  I'll
Scott> test.

I wouldn't mess with this sort of thing.

Tom