[lug] NIC Speed

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed May 1 18:31:14 MDT 2002

I did this just for fun, my 100 Mbit/sec switch LED's indicate full
duplex and 100 Mbit/sec. The machine with RH 7.1 beta and separate
Etherexpress Pro 100 indicates correctly negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link
ok. However, the RH 7.1 machine with integraged version of the same NIC
says 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link. I can talk back and forth between
the two machines just fine, so I don't know what the "no link" is about.
I'm wondering if maybe the integrated version of this card does not use
the MII interface? I noticed the -F force option has no effect as well
from the one end, and the switch definitely says it is full duplex and
100 Mbit/sec. Even so, there are times when I've wondered about the
speed, this makes me more curious. I also begin to wonder if there is
another way to actually benchmark or test NIC speed.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com